Mr Andrew Wilkinson specialises in hip, knee, sports & trauma.
Andrew graduated from medical school in Northern Ireland in 2001. After general training in medicine and surgery he moved to Scotland for specialist training in orthopaedic surgery and spent seven years working in the West of Scotland, receiving training in all aspects of orthopaedic surgery. He spent 12 months in full time research at the University of Glasgow and subsequently successfully presented a research thesis for a post graduate doctorate on cell biology on latest generation ceramic materials.
During his orthopaedic training Andrew spent 1 year on fellowship at the Alfred hospital in Melbourne treating severe trauma. He enjoyed the work and lifestyle in Victoria immensely and in 2014 returned to the Alfred for a further two years of Fellowship training in fracture surgery and lower limb joint replacement. During this time he successfully obtained Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons by examination.
Attracted by the surf coast and rising reputation of Geelong he spent another 12 months at the University Hospital Geelong undertaking a further fellowship in hip and knee joint replacement surgery in addition to managing general trauma. He has been appointed as a consultant at the University Hospital since February 2018.
Andrew has particular interest in the treatment of hip and knee arthritis, treatment of knee instability, meniscus damage and treatment of fractures.
- (03) 4216 – 5394
- (03) 5229 – 1283
- MON – FRI 8:30-5
- Admin Staff:
- Katie and Leanne
- M.B. BCh, BAO – The Queen’s University Belfast
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh (Tr &Orth)
- Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- M.D. (research) University of Glasgow
Andrew teaches through RACS as an instructor for Emergency Management of Severe Trauma (EMST or ATLS – UK). He enjoys all the opportunities afforded to teach Deakin University Students and junior medical staff at University hospital in Geelong and the Epworth Hospital.
- Epworth Hospital Geelong
- University Hospital Geelong
- Saint John of God Hospital in Geelong
- Total hip joint replacement
- Revision hip replacement
- Total knee joint replacement – computer assisted
- Revision knee replacement
- Arthroscopic surgery for meniscus injury, repair and debridement
- Arthroscopic assisted ligament reconstruction for knee injuries (ACL)
- Alignment correction surgery – osteotomy for deformity, arthritis or instability
- Fracture surgery